top of page

The History of the Parish of St Joseph's Catholic Church Carterton,

Oxfordshire
by Miriam James

After the Reformation, there were very few Catholics in the Western part of Oxfordshire.  In 1676 the Compton Census of Roman Catholic Recusants, as they were called, numbered twelve, in the parishes of Westwell, Broadwell, Brize Norton and Bampton.  But with greater religious tolerance during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, more people were able to practice their faith openly; and in 1829 the Catholic Emancipation Act was passed, allowing Catholics to build churches and priests to say Mass openly
Select PDF below for full text

The Parish is part of the Archdiocese of Birmingham, Reg. Charity No: 234216

church-outside-01.png
bottom of page